Friday, September 7, 2012

Bobbed Hair and Bathtub Gin by Marion Meade Review

Bobbed Hair and Bathtub Gin Writers Running Wild in the TwentiesBobbed Hair and Bathtub Gin Writers Running Wild in the Twenties by Marion Meade

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I became fascinated with the twenties when I happened to stumble on two different young adult series set in the 1920s. I loved those books and like with a lot of my interests, I immediately sought out books and other things that took place in the 1920s.

This book was one of the books I bought last year along with Flapper: A Madcap Story of Sex, Style, Celebrity, and the Women Who Made America Modern. I read Flapper at the end of last year and was slightly disappointed in it.

I was in for a surprise when I started to read this book. The narration read like a novel. I found that a bit weird at first, but I got used to it. It made me feel like I was really there, instead of just a collection of facts. It felt more personal.

I had already been fascinated by Dorothy Parker so I was very excited to read about her. But the other women (Edna St. Vincent Millay, Edna Ferber, and Zelda Fitzgerald to name a few) was just as exciting. I'm now looking for individual biographies on each woman. I want to know more about them, I want to read their works. As a writer myself, I'm always fascinated to learn about women writers.

So I give this book 5 stars. It was an interesting look at the lives of different writers throughout the Roaring Twenties. I will also be reading Ms. Meade's bio on Dorothy Parker and Victoria Woodhall.



View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment