Friday, February 10, 2012

By His Majesty's Grace by Jennifer Blake review

Photobucket


I feel the title of the book describes perfectly what happens in the end of the story.

When I first bought this book, I had originally thought it was going to take place in Henry VIII's court, but instead it takes place before he's even born. It's my fault really because I automatically assumed the blurb meant King Henry as in the eighth one. I was pleasantly surprised to see his father in that position.

I have been wanting to read more medieval fiction though and I think this book was a good introduction to it. The piece really does feel like it takes place in the 1480s.

I did the heroine Isabel was rather cold at first, but she eventually came around to Rand. But I suppose since she was forced into the marriage, she had reason to be cold. I liked that the romance between Rand and Isabel just didn't happen right away. I did get the feeling that Rand was feeling Isabel way more than she did him initially, but she came around near the end of the book. I thought the mystery was resolved in a pleasant way as well.

I'm giving this book four stars. I liked it, but the only thing that kind of turned me off was the author note at the end. No one knows if Richard III actually killed the Princes in the Tower and I thought it was a bit unprofessional of the author to say that he did. The answer to that mystery is lost to us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment