Monday, December 15, 2014

Mad Girl's Love Song: Sylvia Plath and Life Before Ted by Andrew Wilson Review

Mad Girl's Love Song: Sylvia Plath and Life Before TedMad Girl's Love Song: Sylvia Plath and Life Before Ted by Andrew Wilson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I enjoyed this biography right up to the very end. I felt like it blamed Hughes for Sylvia's death. Look the biographer may know more about the situation from the letters and the archives but at the end of the day they know the same amount about Hughes and Plath's relationship as I do: nothing. Those two know what went down in their relationship. Of course you have recollection from third party sources but serious it was their relationship. And seeing as it's a biographer's job to be impartial (It should be anyway) that last bit really upset me.

But for the most part this was a well written biography. I like that it focused on the early years. I really enjoyed it up until the end.



View all my reviews


I guess going by the subtitle I should have known Hughes wouldn't come out smelling like roses but I did not pay attention to that. A really nice biography but not as impartial as biographer should be. At least with the end of the book and the afterword.

0 comments:

Post a Comment